TSI has supported the Voisey’s Bay mining project through a broad range of services since the development phase:
- Installation and maintenance of a 900-person accommodations camp during the construction phase.
- Provision of site services from 2005 to present.
- Engineering services from 2005 to 2008, including materials handling, mineral processing, and wear and corrosion evaluation and abatement.
- Mobile crane and lift inspections, including load testing from 2008 to 2017.
- Prime drilling contractor for continued exploration work from 2000 to 2015.
SITE SERVICES PROVIDER
TSI began providing site services to the Vale mine on July 1, 2005. The mine site comprises 144 km2, of which, in excess 45 km2 is cleared and usable. Access to the site is via chartered aircraft with scheduled flights 7 days a week.
TSI is responsible for the operation of all equipment, performance of general labour duties, and the supervision of more than 200 employees involved in the provision of site services activities:
- Loading, haulage, and storage of ore concentrates.
- Transportation of equipment and materials.
- Operation of the port site including mooring, unloading, and loading of containers, bulk and break bulk cargoes, fuel transfers, and the loading of concentrates.
- Year-round maintenance of all site roads, including snow removal in winter and dust control in other seasons; snow removal and ice control for access roads, parking lots, lay down areas, walkways, and stairs.
- Daily transportation and distribution of approximately 104,000 litres of fuel from the port fuel storage tanks to the mill and tank farm.
- Loading and unloading aircraft freight and luggage; transportation of personnel to and from aircraft and work locations.
- Operation of the sand and gravel pit and aggregate plant to provide material for use site wide.
- Operation of the solid waste system including garbage collection, incineration, and landfill, as well as operation of the sewage treatment plant and potable water supply systems.
- Miscellaneous duties to support the mining operation.
TSI provides additional services to Vale on short-term contracts, including staff for annual hydroseeding projects; operators to degrub and prepare additional areas for drilling; staff to support warehouse duties and general carpentry work.